Friday, May 23, 2008

The Host

The Host

Stephanie Myer
Science Fiction
****1/2


Teaser
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans have become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remainng human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves-Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, the set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Review
I have read Twilight, so I was worried this book would be too much like Meyer's other books, and it would be a disappointment. I was wrong. This book started out strange, but with great character development. This book doesn't focus on the science fiction part of the story, but the characters. You find yourself wound up in the reality of Wanderer's world, crying her tears, and smiling for her happiness. This is one of those books that you put down, and it takes you a couple days to break out of the haze. It was fascinating, and it drew the reader into the book, and occasionally had me reading into the night. I recommend this book for anyone who liked Twilight, and/or Maximum Ride. There were moments where I was reminded of both books, but The Host still has an eerie uniqueness that I loved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read Twilight and the rest of the series, and many of my friends have read the Host. Twilight is currently my favorite book, and would love to read the Host, but my friends have mixed feelings. Some loved it more than Twilight and others hated it. I'm afraid that if I read the Host and don't like it, then I will be cautious about reading other books by this author!

Danica

Raechel said...

Danica-

I know exactly how you feel. I was worried to read the book too. I try not to let what others think of books get in my way too much though. I loved twilight too, and I knew a girl who absolutely hated it. I'm glad I didn't listen to her. I don't think there's any way you won't like it if you love twilight, it might just seem a little wierd reading a different book by Meyer when you start. I think you should read it. Let me know what you think!